Factor 55's ProLink shackle mount for winch cables and synthetic ropes are engineered and machined in the USA from lightweight billet 6061 aluminium and provides a safe means to easily attach a standard 3/4" screw pin shackle to existing winch cable and rope eyes. The cable or rope eye is captured into the body of the ProLink by a removable (and oversized) 5/8" double shear titanium pin. The front of the ProLink provides the precision shackle mounting hole and a massive 1.2" thick mounting tab. The ProLink is compatible with both hawse and roller fairleads and snugs neatly against both versions.
The advantages of winching with a screw pin shackle over a conventional winch hook include:
- Screw pin shackles are up to 5X stronger than conventional winch hooks
- Conventional hooks are too small to safely fit both ends of a recovery strap
- Recover straps cannot slip out of a shackle like they can with hooks
- Hook safety latches are not rated for loads and can tear recovery straps
- Conventional hook surfaces add higher stresses to recovery strap fibers, resulting in decreased strap ratings
- Shackles can be quickly removed and stowed away until needed for winching.
- Hooks do not cinch neatly against fairleads and are prone to rattling and loosening
- Conventional winch hooks are designed for chains, not commonly used recovery straps